Monday, May 18, 2009

She Ain't Pretty, But She Works!


There's nothing quite as cool as the light coming out the windows of a silver trailer at night.

Aluminitus Symptom #6: Sometimes you just need some inspiration to keep going.

So, believe it or not, I've owned this trailer for 3-1/2 years and haven't plugged it in. To be fair, I bought it on E-Bay, picked it up out of a snow bank and never had the opportunity to connect it. I figured it would be a gut job anyway. Once stored in my garage I was afraid I'd start the place on fire.

But tonight I needed some inspiration. So after totalling the number of window cranks I need from Vintage Trailer Supply (3) and cabinet latches (1)I decided to roll the dice.

Surprise, everything works. And no smoke! Well, at least everything lights up or makes noise. Lots of noise from the ancient converter. Outlets, lights, ceiling and exhaust fans, furnace and A/C...all work. Not sure if the A/C will blow cold or the furnace hot, but hey, the fans work. The battery indicator works too. Hot water heater wasn't tested due to dry system and fridge is electric replacement which I'll try tomorrow.

I've seen what's behind the walls of these trailers and it doesn't make me comfortable using the trailer in this condition. Old aluminum wire that's bounced down the road year after year. Lots of wire nuts and electrical tape over splices. I suppose, if it's lasted this long, I can use it this summer and get the Streamin back into my Dreamin.

Amazing for a 44 year old trailer.

Well, thinking about it...it reminds me of myself. Same age. Rough around the edges with a few dings. Rolls well once it's hooked up. Makes noises that can usually be identified. Doesn't leak...that I can tell.

We ain't pretty, but we get the job done!

No comments:

Post a Comment