Monday, June 29, 2009

Greetings From Madison WI: Intl Rally

Hello and a sincere Wish You Were Here!

Sorry in advance, but I'm going to wait to post pics until I return home. Now that they're posted, sorry if it takes too long to load. I'll attach additional photos to a separate page. Once I figure out how to compile a panaramic shot, I'll have an awsome shot of the vintage area.

I drove the whopping 2 hours south to Jefferson WI on Friday. This isn't far compared to many hear from CA, AZ, NY, TX, FL, Canada, Sweden and all points in between. I drove down after working and calling on customers while towing my 30' silver bullet. Now that's a conversation starter!

The Jefferson Co. Fairgrounds are great. Nice facility. Clean showers. Friendly staff. Plus, we had the bonus of a Truck and Tractor pull on one side and a Horse show on the other. For some, it might have just been noise. For me, it was fun.

Sunset in Jefferson, WI

The Tractor Pull-Jefferson, WI

We had around 68 trailers in all. Nice turn-out. Great people. Already making good friends.

Here's just a few shots of the line-up Saturday morning. Ready to roll into Madison.

This Curtis Wright participated in the Vintage Airstream Club (VAC). Although not an Airstream, it's one sweet trailer owned by a great couple from California. This is one of several interesting trailers they've had or restored.
Sweet combo and a really nice couple.
This car reminded me of my '64 Impala SS I bought & restored while living in Vegas.

He even chromed the hitch!
Rob & Zoe Baker's rig with Sweet Sovereign in tow.
Yes the siren works, Rob proved it throughout the parade!
The weather was really warm Friday and Saturday. But a light shower cleared things out and it's been fantastic since. Blue skies, low humidity and a nice breeze to challenge the awnings. Especially if you're parked on ASPHALT with a POLE AWNING. Sorry, didn't mean to get that discussion going again. Right Deb? ;)

Look closely and you'll see the string of trailers in the rear view.

Almost there!

Waiting on the Off Ramp.

The view back down the freeway after we made the turn.

Staging for the parade. Mount the flags!
Too bad Rob left the rally before I could snag a flag pole holder!
The VAC Presidents ride. Nice rig Scott.


Another exceptional combo.


Fellow Airstreamers lined up to watch the Vintage Parade.
Now we sit and wait. It took us 30 minutes to drive 20 miles then 30 minutes to stage and 45 minutes waiting to park. On ASPHALT. Again, not trying to get anyone started. It was a good chance to meet some more "Streamers".

Marc and Becky's Rig, me and Frank behind.

We caravanned in to Madison Saturday morning, then paraded around the grounds while all the early birds looked on and cheered. The luck of the draw landed me in line with the rest of the 3 Amp crowd. Right in between Rob Baker and Frank Yensan, to name just a few. Everyone has been kind to this newby, outgoing to the point of insisting I join their families and groups for meals and activities and gracious beyond belief with information, supplies or assistance. I've also met several local Wisconsinites that I'll introduce you to later, including Steve and his family from Byamcaravanner blog fame. What a fun start to what has been a great experience so far, with more interesting events planned.

Had a little trouble hooking up the computer this morning so I gave up on WiFi and resorted to a hard wired ethernet connection. They could use a few more cables for us low-tech people but then again we could have brought our own. Good service through the Alliant Energy Center.

I've checked e-mail, gotten a report out for work, contacted some customers for appointments tomorrow and updated my blog. Now it's time to go listen to Dale "Pee Wee" Schwamborn tell about his Airstream history and the Africa Caravan. He's been very informative and entertaining with his recollections around our camp-site the past few nights. What a treat.
Dale "Pee Wee" Schwamborn and me hanging out in front of "Anna".

If you're like me and have a trailer but haven't used it or haven't used it in a WHILE. Please, do yourself a favor: GET OUT out and discover something like this. I finally did, on this first trip out of the barn in 4 years of owning my first travel trailer. My only regret now is: WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG!?!

This is a great experience...and we're all here waiting for you to join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment