Friday, June 26, 2009

Last Minute Update

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been scrambling to get everything done to head to the International Rally in Madison, WI. I leave today for the Jefferson, WI rendezvous of the Vintage Airstream Club. Looking forward to meeting all the bloggers and folks who have kept these classics on the road and inspired me in the process.

Recent accomplishments: Installed a Fantastic Vent fan to replace the crumbling plastic dome someone had installed on an old Herr vent base. Now that I know what I'm doing the next will go fast. I don't want to admit how long this one took to install. Finished cleaning the walls and all bedding. Had spare set of keys made. Installed two new window operators and two new cabinet latches. Just finished a FAQ sheet to post on my window at the rally. Still have to pack, weld safety chains on and try the awning poles. The awning looks great but the aluminum poles seemed to be jammed. I've been soaking them with penetrating oil, we'll see if it worked.

You can tell the difference in chain size. The originals are on top. Update following the Rally: I spoted the same"swing set" size chain I saw on other 1965 trailers at the Rally. Liability laws must have been different in 1965.


A word about insurance. I called to get value insurance on the trailer. I'm covered through my home-owners policy when the trailer sits and through my vehicle insurance when I drive against liability. I know they won't cover the actual value of this trailer given the age. So I have stated the value as at a fair amount should I suffer a total loss. This is something I can back up with Internet valuations, receipts and E-bay trackings. A separate appraisal was not be needed until the value escalates with the restoration completion. Total cost for peace of mind, $47 for the year through my capable agent at American Family Insurance. For comparison, my 1970 Oldsmobile has similar insurance and costs $42 yearly.

I'm happy to say my A/C is working great and so is the fridge. It's unfortunate that I won't be able to use them at the rally since we will be in the 3 amp area.

All packed and ready to roll. I'll be making sales and service calls on my way today. Should be fun...can't forget I'm 50' not just 20' when driving today!




Hope to see you there. I'll post updated photos and rally photos when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment