Thursday, March 4, 2010

Keeping me busy III

Fall Chores Continue

Putting away the Airstream for the year leaves me free for all sorts of other fun stuff.

Once the Garden was done, the old plants composed and the soil turned over I could move on to more destructive tasks. Like trimming trees.

Seems every year I have a big pine die off and while I'm not afraid to drop them myself I'm also not foolish when it comes to getting help with the dangerous stuff.

Like pruning my multi century old oak. This I didn't want to screw up. So since I had a professional over to to drop two split top pines way too close to my house I had him tackle the oak. I had an 80lb branch drop on the driveway during a storm...right where I stop every day when picking up the mail.

Late fall is also the best time to trim oaks around here to allow time to heal before summer and avoid oak wilt.


Unlike the local hwy department yahoos who use a flail chain brush mower to "prune trees". This little job took me a day to repair, cutting back each damaged branch of each tree all the way down the frontage.


Carnage courtesy of the hwy department morons. And on the coldest day of the year too. Glad I pay taxes for this brain trust.



Moving on the the back of the house. Making room for what we hope will be an addition. Hated to see these healthy trees cut. But they were way too close to the house and once down, each had splitting visible in the crotches of the split crowns.
The clean-up took the better part of a day, plus a really nice bon-fire once we had a layer of snow on the ground.




My best attempt at lumberjack impression.


I've peeled the bark on each tree I've dropped. Not sure what I'll use them for...yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment