Thursday, March 4, 2010

Winter 09-10 Shop Project

My initial goal was to insulate and heat my garage shop so I could complete other projects this year. Among them a bench I started for my parents a few years ago in my previous home. Which was coincidentally, the last time I used most of my stationary tools.

Since moving I've had to cover them all in oil & grease to stop the work surfaces from rusting due to cold and humidity. Waxing just didn't help. This really chaps my hide...so insulation allowing efficient winter heat & summer a/c along with using a dehumidifier is the plan.

Here's the before shot. 30Wx40Lx9H. Open-vented ceiling, small office in the back, non insulated.


See that stack of lumber and white metal sheeting on the left and the pallet of insulation to the right of the office? I'm embarrased to say that was delivered 3-7-2007. I could give reasons for delays of this project, like selling our other house or wondering if I'd be better off returning the materials and moving somewhere else, but they'd only sound like excuses. Like I've said before, life gets in the way some times.

I'm really looking forward to utilizing this space. Without a basement I've been lost. And, if I do eventually have to move at least I won't have to take all that material with me. I just hope I'll be able to take full advantage of this improvement and not some other guy.

2 comments:

  1. I have felt exactly the pain you posted about down to the stack of lumber waiting to be cut...for years.

    A couple of weeks ago, I finally had a man blow insulation into the attic (I had insulated the walls when the shop was built). It only took 11 years for me to do it.

    I encourage you to do it sooner than I did.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tom, Been working on it last two months. Stack is much smaller while walls and ceiling are now framed. Will post additional photos soon.

    ReplyDelete