Friday, March 19, 2010

The Shop Progresses

First let me voice an opinion. I don't think pole barns are the best buildings to build unless you just need something fast. To be fair, the previous owner never wanted a finished space as I do.

I just think anything that rely's on wood in the ground for a "footing" and horizontal boards on 9' centers for supporting snow loads on the roof and hanging siding on the walls is cheap. Once you beef up the structure to accommodate insulation, wiring, cabinetry and ceiling, you have the typical framing needed for a stick-built structure. Cost becomes a near wash either way.


That said, I've probably overdone the framing in my typical way of doing things. I could have gone a faster route of plugging up the vented eves and soffets and added blankets of insulation to the walls. But after consulting the original contractor/building manufacturer and the local lumber yards, no-one could tell me any easier or more efficient way of installing a ceiling that would allow insulation. Plus, I wanted walls that could be insulated & support cabinets and windows. Plus, if the underground wood should ever rot the walls and structure will now ride on the concrete slab which has a perimeter footing. Kind of a building within a building.


Framing, Wiring, Hanging Ceiling, More Wiring, Insulating. It would sure progress faster if I didn't have to move all the "stuff" every time I needed access overhead or on a wall. I've been doing me best at being a good husband this winter. I've left room every night for my wife's vehicle which is kind of like completing a puzzle at the end of each nights work.


At least it's coming along. Can't wait to get the lighting and reflective surface materials installed.


Additional laminated beams to free span the 30' width were added to support dropped ceiling since original trusses were never meant to support the additional structure & load.

Pink polystyrene installed to isolate the fiberglass batt insulation from the potential of wet sweating steel siding.

Framed walls on right are from office previous owner had installed. Photo in prior log entry shows it at rear of garage. These walls, which include an entry door for the shop, will be re-installed as a movable wall dividing parking from shop space. This allows reconfiguration of the space as different projects require.


Framing around garage door opener. Finished ceiling height will be 9'.


Installed finished ceiling in raised center section of shop to allow easier maneuvering of sheet goods, etc. Height is 10'+. Hole is for ceiling fan.
Uninsulated section will be window. This faces south for light & winter passive heat. Eve's and oaks will provide shade during summer.













1 comment: