Monday, April 6, 2009

Bringing you up to date



So, what have I done so far?
First: scanned the Internet for 3 years. Learned everything I could about trailers including Airstreams. What would meet my needs? What did they cost? Checked the blogs, sites, E-Bay, local ads. Finally, I've got some money.


This is when I realized my first symptoms of Aluminitus.

Definition of Aluminitus: Cannot think about anything rationally due to preoccupation with Aluminum constructed objects.

Most likely subject is the classic American Icon: the See More, Do More, Live More...Airstream Trailer.

Advanced stages include endless tracking of trailers for sale via newspapers, Internet and any available source of advertising.

Symptoms are compounded by epidemics like The New Millennium Nostalgia Fever strain. This occurred between 1998 and 2003 when people decided that traveling as they did when they were kids would be a fun thing to do. It spread at lightening speed due to lack of "cure" vaccines, i.e. not enough trailers to meet needs.

Symptoms worsen until the afflicted purchases the object of his or her obsession. In my case it was a 1965 30' Airstream Sovereign International Travel Trailer. Say that 3 times fast!

Warning: Single trailer purchases may not completely cure the affliction. Victims often find themselves unable to stop looking for an additional aluminum "fix", scanning websites or having friends or "enablers" find them for them. Additional trailers may add to the collection of person affected, thereby compounding Aluminitus infection.

Sadly, there doesn't appear to be a complete cure with most experiencing relapse. A 12 step program with sponsors is the only prevention.

Aluninitus Symptom #1: Obsessive Compulsive Aluminum Addiction. These symptoms manifested into the first of many on my way to getting "my first fix."

Finally, I found what was advertised as a "stored indoors, everything worked when stored, very straight aluminum, just a few dings, interior pretty much original, original windows, no leaks."

OK, show me the pictures. Hey, looks good. Called and asked many questions. All answered reasonably. And, its ONLY 390 miles away instead of clear across the country. And, it's listed at less than 1/2 what maniacs were bidding on them.

OK...I hit the BUY-IT-NOW button. First time ever.

Hind-sight: There must be a better way to buy something other than E-Bay. Not sure I'd do it again.


Bringing home the new toy:
After hitting the buy-it-now button December 2, 2005.
Wow, was it that long ago?



Quick: I need a brake controller! My trusty hitch installer source was tied up so I enlisted the help of a co-worker, in a snow storm. We pulled it into his garage and between dripping slush, installed a new controller in my 2000 Chevy van. This required running the spare wires back to the hitch, unlike today's vehicles that make installation a much simpler plug-and-play.


12-4-05: 4:30AM. Take off from Milwaukee, WI with my Mapquest notes in hand to pick up my trailer in Milan, OH. Simple route, right? Just head south on I94 and east on I80 to Ohio. After a slight detour, which I'll claim was due to construction, I arrived a little later than anticipated. Where did my side trip take me? All I'll say is I remember seeing signs for Canada.

I went from being the guy who can find due-north in the pitch black during a snow storm to unsuccessfully navigating through a construction zone, ending up in East-Central Michigan for...some time.

Aluminitus Symptom #2: Direction Impulse Disorder due to Aluminum Distraction.


When I finally arrived at the trailer what I found will be familiar to most who have gone this direction. The trailer was "not quite" as advertised. I won't go in to details.


Aluminitus symptom #3: Driven to Score the Fix. Subject finds themselves unable to walk away from anything that resembles anything other than a total train wreck. Can't go home empty handed. If it rolls, I'll fix the rest.






Next: Now What do I do with it?


No comments:

Post a Comment