Monday, April 6, 2009

Change Happens

So this time I don't nod and change the subject when my wife reads the property listings as we've done throughout our lives together. I take in to account what we've been through the past few years. She asks for so little. If I can give her something she wants I'll do it. Hopefully it will simplify our lives.

I agree to go take a look at the property she finds that must be too good to be true. Seven Acres of Pines and Oaks. 1600 square foot newer home. Well, septic, drive are all in. Two huge garage/storage buildings which everyone says is why I liked it. They're wrong. I can build garages. What I couldn't get over were the trees, the silence, the peace I felt the first time I stood on this property....in the middle of absolutely no-where! Hence the unbelievable price...compared to the Southeastern Wisconsin area.

Long story short. We find new jobs. We move ourselves, our belongings, our lives to the middle of Wisconsin and the middle of nowhere. This forces us to sell our home in the worst market we've ever seen. Call it a break-even with the deal we got on the new place.

I won't get in to how long the move took or being laid-off just as we finished. I won't give details about how making two house payments while the market, and our investment nest eggs continued to sour. It was the scariest thing I've ever been through.

Some days I wake up asking myself what the heck I did. Others I wake up, walk outside and just smile. If I can make this work, it will be the best thing I've ever done. If I can't...well I guess we can always go back to "the city." Life Happens...Change Happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment