Monday, April 6, 2009

What Needs To Be Done

Did I mention how great the trailer handled with trucks trying to blow us off the curves in construction zones? Concrete barriers squeezing two lanes into 1.5 and still a semi needs to pass on a ramp. I really thought I might get to see my maker ahead of schedule that night.

Yep, it handled like a dream on original 40 year old axles and tires of unknown age, looking original on their split rims. No load leveling. No sway control. What a great towing trailer!

What I'd like to do in the immediate future:

1) Install better safety chains. The chains now on the trailer aren't suitable for my niece's swing set.

2) Check Brake "Break-Away" switch.

3) Look into a better hitch system. I like the Draw-tite combo with built in load leveling and sway control. Pricey though, and I need to know the weight of the completed trailer to properly match the control bars or cam set-up.

4) Test all systems. I've purposely put this off. I do have a 30a receptacle left from the previous owner. I've confirmed proper wiring/polarity of it. I'll give my dad credit for an over cautious nature which I've adopted as I've gotten older. He has always been afraid of fire due to wiring and explosions due to gas leaks. He has rarely done his own work in these areas whereas I used to dive in with reckless abandon. Now older, wiser and slower to risk life limb and home, these tasks which have the possibility of both has put this task off my list until now.

First nice day I'll park the trailer outside and test the electrical including lights, outlets, converter, AC and refrigerator. A couple large fire extinguishers will be nearby. The hot water heater and fridge are electric only from my trailer's days as a summer cottage. Both are planned for replacement as is the ancient AC system.

As for the furnace and range, I may take it to my local RV repairman. Let those who know mess with the fun stuff.

5) Plumbing. I already spotted a burst in one supply line. This may be better left for the tear down which won't happen until after the Rally in June. The good news is I spotted no rot or leakage when checking the nooks and cranny's, except for the rear trunk area which is notorious for this.

6) Replace rear vent and possibly center vent with a fantastic fan model. Not sure if I want auto temp or rain closure control. They'll be at the Madison rally. It sure is tempting to have them do the install for the reasonable prices they charge.

7) The First rally I attend I plan to grab as many veterans of the restoration wars as possible to go over my trailer. I'll take notes and listen closely to those who have gone before me. You can never learn enough. So please, if you see me at a rally, don't be afraid to offer your guidance.

Looks like I'll be staying in an aluminum tent until further notice.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, it's a very great blog.
    I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
    Keep doing!

    ReplyDelete